PaprikaTown: Changing places

Thursday 7 June 2012

Changing places

The summer heat – the kind that lingers long... pervades walls, buildings, streets, vegetation and the air... makes evenings out seem endless... turns a summer shower humid... and brings the breadth of a city close together in shared sensual warmth – feels like it may have finally arrived.

The weather at the beginning of this June has seen plenty of rain. And if memory serves, it was much the same last year. But, out of the long bookend seasons of summer and winter, weather passes quickly here and sun generally replaces rain in a matter of hours.

My stay in Budapest has now lasted one year. I've enjoyed the comfort of renting a family-style home, with a friendly and reliable owner, giving me a sense of calm and security in a country where, still, I can hardly speak any sensible native words.

But all things must pass. I concluded a few months ago that I really should start to consider my long-term finances. The option in this case being to look for a cheaper rent. And now the reality of that decision has materialised. My landlady has found a new tenant – and I must find a new flat.

I've received so many warnings of where not to go – Buda is boring, VIII district is risky, downtown is noisy – that my options seem small. Although I don't take these comments too seriously, somewhere not too far away, such as XIII district, seems the best option, provided I can find a place that suits.

What I feel I shall be giving up is a) culture – V is a middle-class district and my adopted street is home to the wealthiest antiques shops and art galleries in the city – and b) space, which includes the stupendous wide-open vista view. But, accepting I must find a smaller flat, the other factors can be replaced, they will simply be different.

Budapest offers great variety and each location has a special ethnic character of its own. So my search is on for somewhere inspiring and different – or just kind to the wallet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online