PaprikaTown: Good vibrations?

Friday 3 May 2013

Good vibrations?

I have always found it a little dispiriting to follow a link to a blog only to find the blog discontinued. There must be – a very big number – of abandoned blogs floating in cyberspace: the detritus of past creative efforts that once fulfilled a role but now simply remain adrift as digital hazards to future cyber-surfers.

This blog has had no entries for a few months because I have been distracted by some health issues. However, if PaprikaTown should end then I am resolved there will be a message flagging up the fact. That, after all, is simple courtesy.

And speaking of courtesy reminds me of the small debate raised by the recent republishing of my post "What's special about Hungary?". Comments seem evenly divided over my suggestion that Hungarians are unusually polite. Views range from broad agreement to a belief that I must be on drugs (only vitamins, actually).

Well, my Budapest wanderings on the hot May Day holiday do support both points of view. Being vehemently abused by a very large Hungarian family man for obstructing his photos of noisy, circulating racing vehicles (at Széchenyi Bridge), was unpleasant. Stepping two paces forward would have solved his problem, but it seemed he had claimed his Hungarian space.

Later, I found myself on a hillside on Buda for a free outdoor concert. A tall sound and light stage at the bottom of Tabán hill had drawn thousands to stand, sit or lie on the large grassy hill, covering nearly every square metre. The music was typical Hungarian jazz-rock. The audience was peaceful, co-operative and harmonious, even with flowing beer. All that was missing was flowers in the hair!

I've never said Hungary is perfect. But there does exist plenty of goodwill.

2 Comments:

Anne Tourney said...

I'm glad to hear that Paprika Town (and its author) are still alive and well :). I enjoy reading about your experiences in Budapest and hope to continue doing so for a long time to come. My own experiences with the Hungarians were mostly pleasant. A few of the people we met were brusque and gruff, but most were friendly. On the whole I found the Hungarians more agreeable than my fellow Americans, who tend to have an air of personal entitlement that's hard to find elsewhere.

Jeremy said...

Thanks, Anne, for your comment and support.

Post a Comment

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online